As I get ready to head to Cancun, Mexico for Spring Break this year, I will be returning back to The Moon Palace Golf Resort and Spa. Although last year I was touring colleges for my eldest lad over Spring Break, for four years leading up to Spring Break of 2013, I owned a beachside condominium in Panama City Beach, Florida, the unofficial Spring Break capital of the United States.
My condominium was on the west side of Panama City Beach, Florida over on Front Beach Road, so I was a ways away from all of the traditional Panama City Beach, spring breakers, but Panama City Beach, is also recognized as having one of the best beaches in the world, with its’ white sand beaches and the aquamarine blue waters.
Panama City Beach also happens to be home to an amazing shopping and dining destination in Pier Park. With nearly 125 stores, Pier Park features Target, Forever 21, Dillards, JCPenneys and Marshalls, movies at the Grand IMAX Theater, an outdoor amusement park and plenty of places to grab dinner or drinks.
There are several fun facts about Spring Break that you may or may not know about, including several that involve Panama City Beach, Florida.
- Between 1.5 and 2.0 million students go on Spring Break each year.
- Students will spend over $1.0 billion dollars for Spring Break.
- Panama City Beach, Florida is the number one Spring Break destination in the United States.
- Nearly half a million people visit Panama City Beach, Florida for Spring Break each year.
- The largest nightclub in the United States is Club La Vela, located in Panama City Beach.
- MTV’s Spring Break debuted in 1986 in Daytona Beach, Florida; and
- Cancun, Mexico is the topped ranked Mexican destination.
So whether you are looking for a great United States Spring Break location or a great Mexican destination, without hesitation be safe, wise and use plenty of sunscreen. Otherwise you will be in for an unpleasant surprise.